How To Build a Log Cabin
It doesn’t take a genius to build a log cabin home. The rustic appeal of a log cabin lies buried in the hearts of many people and this dream can be turned into a reality with a decent set of floor plans, a little hard work, perseverance and a good set of tools.
Step by Step Procedure
A step-by-step procedure makes it a relatively easy process to build a simple log cabin and ensures you won’t miss any essential steps along the way.
1. Floor Plans – A decent set of floor plans can be purchased on the internet or you can have these drawn up for you by your local architect or builder. Be certain to include all the basics a log cabin home would have that make such a dwelling unique.
2. Location, Location, Location – As in real estate investing, this mantra is paramount for the enjoyment of your future home. Choose the view that suits you. Site your log cabin on land that drains well and ideally is level. Clear the land of trees, brush and rocks leaving those that you may wish to use in the construction of your new home.
3. Preparation – Construction begins with the purchase, placing and assembling of materials on-site. You will need all the necessities of home plus any amenities that will make your log cabin unique and express your personality so that you will derive complete fulfillment from your new home.
4. Construction – Generally, the construction process is the longest and most tedious stage of building a home. It can also be the most frustrating and most expensive as delays are encountered, obstacles are mastered and changes are incorporated into your design. Even Mother Nature may seem to be against you at times. But bearing through it all will be worth it as your home is finally ready for you to move in.
5. Move-In and Personalization – As you move in, personalize your log cabin with unique touches that exemplify your style, taste and personality and present you and your guests with a pleasant and comfortable home. Fireplaces, floor rugs, pictures, trophies, hunting memorabilia can all give your log cabin a special, comforting touch.
How Much Does It Cost to Build a Log Cabin?
Log cabin homes have traditionally cost less to build than homes of other types as construction materials and labor costs are often less – often by as much as 1/3. This reduced cost can be offset however by increased expenses in location, problems with access and siting requirements. Be sure to investigate local building codes and requirements before beginning any construction.
Log Cabin Homes for Sale: Is building a log cabin home too much? You can always buy one. The logistics of design, location and building can be overwhelming to many people so buying a cabin could be the best option for you.
Pre-Built Log Cabin Homes: These pre-fab log cabins come partially assembled with final assembly completed on-site. Combining some of the features of building your own along with the ease of buying a cabin, this could be your best alternative.